Sunday, April 17, 2005

Remember when it was called the “Boob Tube”?

Now, let me start by saying Nancy and I have been cable (satellite) free for over a year now and we love it! However it doesn’t mean that we don’t have a TV or a DVD player. We love watching Movies (through NetFlix*) and we especially like having control over what we watch. I know what your thinking “control” isn’t that what you have when you change the channel? Well yes and no. I think it’s safe to say that every single one of us human beings that has owned a television has made the remark of “X” number of channels and still nothing on to watch. I’ve done it, you’ve done it. Let’s face it, we’ve all done it! What I’m saying is that it is possible to unplug and still have the freedom to entertain your self with a good movie or show.

Being cable free actually gives you and interesting perspective on our society when you’ve gone without it for a wile. People (friends included) will continue to make remarks about a particular television show and you’ll need to remind them that you don’t have cable. I really like it when the customers at the bookstore I work at tell me the saw the book they wanted on this show and I reply “I don’t have TV”. They always say that’s great or good for you. It makes me feel like I’ve done something extraordinary!

My recommendation is for everyone to try it. Go ahead and unplug for a wile, come on give it a shot. You can do it can’t you? You have the strength right? It’s just a TV it’s not like trying to give up breathing…Is it?



*NetFlix is great! (When they don’t get stolen, damaged, lost, or sent back by the Post Office** because they couldn’t read the name on the P.O. Box).
**Post Office is great, unless it has anything to do with NetFlix.

No comments: