Sunday, April 17, 2005

Five things the cable/satellite companies would need to do to make me want to subscribe to their medium again.

1. Eliminate commercials. Ya I know every time we mention it the corporations whine and complain that commercials are how they keep the prices so cheap, if you want to call having to pay somewhere between $32, or in the case of wanting that one History International channel $53, a month cheap. Let me just throw this on the table, cheap is a mater of perspective. For me cheap is about $12 a month. Although I’d be willing to pay a little extra to keep the commercials out. So how about $15 a month. Sounds fair to me…

2. Brake up the News Agencies so that they aren’t all owned by one person (Mr. Rupert Murdock) and then eliminate the ratings system. Do they still teach you in school that monopolies are a bad thing?

3. When signing up for cable give the consumer a choice of what channels they want (channel by channel). That way they can unsubscribe to a bunch of useless (mostly sports) channels we don’t need.

4. No more reality television! Please!

5. Create more educational programming.

Actually I probably wouldn’t subscribe to cable television even in the unlikely event that they catered to my demands. The reality is I’m more productive with my time without the boob tube running 24/7.

No comments: